So when does that "click" come for you? That click when that light bulb go off in your head and you say, "I can do this!" "I will succeed at achieving my goals and nothing can or will stop me."
Success or the pursuit of success in achieving your goals is not something you can do half-way or only half-heartedly. It requires your total immersion and commitment at all levels; mentally, physically, emotionally, and mechanically.
The mechanics of goal achievement are rather straight-forward. Some would even say they were simple. Most producers and managers I speak with can perfectly articulate what they need to do to achieve whatever goals they desire. So why don't they follow those very steps that they lay out for themselves?
When asked why, I hear mostly excuses and explanations. I hear everything from the state of the economy to having too much to do and not enough time to accomplish everything.
These are just rationalizations.
I have learned a great deal about overcoming rationalizations through my coaching clients and I would like to pass some of this wisdom to you. I have found the following ingredients to be critical in achieving what you want in your business and personal life regardless of what is going on around you:
- Vision of the career/business/life desired - Most people react to the world around them instead of creating the career/business/life they would like to have. This is due, in part, to a lack of a vision.
- Knowing what your needs are and getting them met at all costs-By taking the time to discover what your personal and business needs are and getting them met will dramatically improve your outlook on life, your energy level and level of satisfaction, and contentment.
- Belief in self-You will achieve what you believe.
- Belief that the goal is attainable-Don't just go through the motions. If you don't believe that the goal is attainable, don't attempt it.
- Emotional connection to the goal-Just by making the logical decision to achieve a goal doesn't create enough commitment and buy-in to achieve it.
- Passion about achieving the goal-Possessing passion and enthusiasm about achieving a goal will release an unlimited amount of energy and perseverance that will enable you to persevere to achieve the goal.
- Hope about the future-A positive outlook about the future will protect you from negativity and despair and will help you to bring about more positive outcomes in everything you do.
- Self-Esteem-The better you feel about yourself, the more you will accomplish. Develop the capacity to relive your successes not your failures.
- Feeling worthy to achieve the goal-If you don't believe you deserve to achieve the goals you seek, you won't. It will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- Commitment to change-Doing the same activities or actions and expecting different outcomes results in disappointment and frustration. Changing systems, processes, procedures, thinking, etc., is what's required.
Take some time to reflect upon these ten critical ingredients. Score yourself on a scale of 1-10 for each one. A score of 1 means that the statement rarely applies to you. A score of 10 means that the statement usually or most often does apply to you. A perfect score is 100. In this type of test, the harder you grade yourself, the better.
Paint a Picture in Your Mind's Eye…Then Make it a Reality
It all starts with a crystal clear vision of what kind of life you want to lead. What are your values? What is your life's purpose? What legacy do you want to leave behind? Only when you have first answered these questions can you then craft specific goals you want to achieve. Your goals must support these larger life issues. When they do, their attainment comes more easily. Just as actors follow scripts, so too do we have inner scripts or thought patterns that determine our actions, affect our feeling and determine our levels of success. If your internal script isn't creating a life of joy and success, paint a new picture in your minds eye and then make it reality.
The Area of the Possible
We each possess our own unconscious "area of the possible." All of our actions, feeling, behaviors and abilities are consistent with our belief of what is possible for us to achieve. When you have an unwavering commitment to your goals, and a belief that they can be achieved, you must take action by moving closer to attaining each goal. By doing so, your resilience and your spirits remain high and you receive abundant energy, enthusiasm, and hope for the future.
Good luck to you on your journey to success.